Influence of peritoneal carcinomatosis on perioperative outcome in palliative gastric bypass for malignant gastric outlet obstruction-a retrospective cohort study

J. Bednarsch, Z. Czigany, D. Heise, H. Zimmermann, J. Boecker, T.F. Ulmer, U.P. Neumann, C. Klink*

*Corresponding author for this work

Research output: Contribution to journalArticleAcademicpeer-review

3 Citations (Web of Science)

Abstract

Background Malignant gastric outlet obstruction (GOO) is commonly associated with the presence of peritoneal carcinomatosis (PC) and preferably treated by surgical gastrojejunostomy (GJJ) in patients with good performance. Here, we aim to investigate the role of PC as a risk factor for perioperative morbidity and mortality in patients with GOO undergoing GJJ. Methods Perioperative data of 72 patients with malignant GOO who underwent palliative GJJ at our institution between 2010 and 2019 were collected within an institutional database. To compare perioperative outcomes of patients with and without PC, extensive group analyses were carried out. Results A set of 39 (54.2%) patients was histologically diagnosed with concomitant PC while the remaining 33 (45.8%) patients showed no clinical signs of PC. In-house mortality due to surgical complications was significantly higher in patients with PC (9/39, 23.1%) than in patients without PC (2/33, 6.1%, p = .046). Considerable differences were observed in terms of surgical complications such as anastomotic leakage rates (2.8% vs. 0%, p = .187), delayed gastric emptying (33.3% vs. 15.2%, p = .076), paralytic ileus (23.1% vs. 9.1%, p = .113), and pneumonia (17.9% vs. 12.1%, p = .493) without reaching the level of statistical significance. Conclusions PC is an important predictor of perioperative morbidity and mortality patients undergoing GJJ for malignant GOO.
Original languageEnglish
Article number25
Number of pages8
JournalWorld journal of surgical oncology
Volume18
Issue number1
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 31 Jan 2020

Keywords

  • cancer
  • features
  • gastric outlet obstruction
  • gastrojejujnostomy
  • impact
  • laparoscopic gastrojejunostomy
  • management
  • nutrition
  • peritoneal carcinomatosis
  • surgery
  • SURGERY
  • MANAGEMENT
  • Gastric outlet obstruction
  • CANCER
  • FEATURES
  • IMPACT
  • LAPAROSCOPIC GASTROJEJUNOSTOMY
  • Peritoneal carcinomatosis
  • NUTRITION
  • Gastrojejujnostomy

Cite this