Ingestie van corpora aliena bij kinderen

Translated title of the contribution: Foreign body ingestion in children

Hilde Krom, Gijs Elshout, Catharine A Hellingman, Angelika Kindermann, Joost van Schuppen, Merit M Tabbers

Research output: Contribution to journalArticleAcademic


Foreign body ingestion occurs frequently in children and may lead to severe complications and mortality. In this article, three cases are presented. A 2-year-old boy swallowed a plastic toy helmet. He had no symptoms and physical examination was normal, and the toy was found in the stool within three days. Similarly, a 6-year-old girl swallowed two magnets and was asymptomatic. Physical examination was normal and a radiograph showed a foreign body which had passed the stomach. Due to the location, endoscopic removal by gastroduodenoscopy was not possible and surgical removal unnecessary. The magnets were secreted in the stool within two days. A 10-year-old boy with VACTERL association and psychiatric history, swallowed a button battery. After a delay in presentation, a radiograph showed a button battery mid-esophageal, which was endoscopically removed. He also needed dilatation due to esophageal stenosis. The above cases are all illustrative of the topic covered in the guideline 'Ingestion of foreign bodies in children aged 0-18 years', which was developed on behalf of the Dutch Pediatric Association and published in March 2019.

Translated title of the contributionForeign body ingestion in children
Original languageDutch
Article numberD4281
JournalNederlands Tijdschrift voor Geneeskunde
Publication statusPublished - 7 Nov 2019

Cite this